Saturday, September 20, 2008

A First, a Second, and a Third!


The L. A. County Fair is always fun to go to when you get to ride the rides. When I was little I remember going on the rides in the Tiny Kid Area. Then I remember riding the rides in the Middle Kid Area. In fact I think I remember making some friends on those rides. And the the Adult Ride Area. Those rides make my tummy feel sick. I like riding the roller coasters.

To make me want to go to the fair this year my Mom signed me up to enter one of my drawings, to design a sunflower and to decorate a butterfly. The America's Kids Section is for us! Teachers always seem to pick "their own kids," or "their friends kids," to enter into the fair. So the winners are always from the same families. The America's Kids Section, anyone can enter! And it is so cool, they have different bug displays, a whole area on the Fire Department, a play is performed and you can walk around and not only look at the kids art work but some of the

collections that kids have! One person had a collection of flattened pennies. There was a mini Pirate collection. After looking at all of the entries we ate at King Taco, got a Bar-B-Que'd Corn on the Cob, had an ice cream dipped in chocolate, ate a Bar-B-Que'd Beef sandwich and fries, and a bite of a cinnamon roll! Plus my Mom dragged us to the Culinary Arts Building to see the cookies and cakes and table settings. There was a table decorated for the play "Wicked." And then to the Tapestry Building to see her entries in the creative arts. It was fun and not fun at


the same time. They needed a Game Area. Where they sold new games, let us try out new games, had kids enter Japanese Cartoon Drawings and idea for Comic Books.... Not a bug zone. That is for the little kids. We like the more challenging, intricate and complex areas. Hey, even our Mom and Dad come to us with technical questions. We need a technical area of our own!
My brother entered his sunflower into the Fair also. He kind of copied mine. He won a Third Place. I don't remember if we looked to see what the First Place looked like, but it was not memorable or I would have remembered what it looked like! I think he did a really good job. He did it all by himself. His own creation. He also drew a coat & armor and a pirate ship. My Mom entered the pirate ship, and he received another Third Place. Way to go Jack! He worked really hard on his two entries. So the fair was fun as you have heard and then not fun as I told you the section for us is not challenging enough and does not grab your attention long enough to want to
hang out. I think Gabe could design a great fair

section for the teens to hang out in and want to
stay there. I think the food is good. Alot of choices, and there was not that many people. We could hear the concert going on. I forgot who was playing... I remember going to the Fair when we were in Kindergarten as a class. That was fun. I think we made big, gigantic bubbles, had a tunnel we ran through. Oh the fair has a big shark slide in the back. That was cool. Did not get to see the animals either. It was getting late. Maybe next
time. Maybe we should get a group of us to go.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

W-O-W!!!!! You guys are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G artists! Lauren, that was an awesome sunflower! I wish I went to the Fair this weekend, but I might go next weekend. That was really cool that you both got alot of ribbons. Great job you guys!!

Mr. Opin said...

I always knew you had a talent of art somewhere inside of you,lauren... I remember you telling me the same story less or if not a week ago... Yet you tell me that you don't... you just copy me, not true. I know you have your own style. Even though you like my palm trees all the time.